Monday, February 13, 2006

Today was my day to venture out on my own since Jim went to the office at 8A.

I started out the morning seeking out the corner newsstand where I could purchase a voucher to recharge minutes on my cellular phone. (Martha Stuart helpful Note: For anyone to ever has the need to travel outside the USA and has a world phone, (most of the cell phones now have the capability) you can purchase a SIM card locally or online before you depart. You swap out your SIM card from your phone with the replacement. This will enable you to make cellular calls to the US for calling card prices. I paid $8.00 USD for 350 minutes of use. When finished swap out the card)

The streets were quite busy as any large city is during rush hour. I am sure I irritate more than a few people stopping in from of shops trying to located the correct address. But I succeeded with my purchase and was thrilled that the voucher worked and was so convenient to obtain.

After I made my first call to my daughter Erin I thought for a moment on how amazing technology has made life so convenient and how much we take it all for granted.

Here I am standing on a busy street in Hong Kong, dialing my daughter in Dubuque Iowa and being instantly connected for pennies a minute. What happened to the postcard we sent years ago that arrived after we came back from our trip.

My next course of action was to get to Causeway Bay for a day of shopping. Since I was not entirely pleased with our few hours on Kowloon Saturday, I was not quite sure what to expect.

I chose to be adventurous and take the Tram. The Tram has been around since 1904 and is the oldest form of transportation. It is the streetcar version, which I have no recollection, of Chicago. The cost 2.00HK for a trip or about .25 USD. Such a deal.

The Tram gave me the opportunity to see the city from a different perspective. Traveling with people going to work or just crossing the city. The people are very helpful. Each time I have asked to directions from anyone they have been more than accommodating. On my Tram ride out the girl who I asked for directions was also on the same Tram. She went out of her way to ensure that I got off at my stop.

I spent the next 4 hours or so going to small street vendors and some excellent small local shops and department stores. There are bargains galore if you know what you are looking for and know your prices. I know that many of you who are reading this would have thought you had died and gone to Value City Heaven. This area is where locals shop and prices are slightly better.

I shopped til I dropped and eventually found the correct Tram to take back to Central, our area where the hotel is located.

Jim finished his day by 5:30, and we had a relatively early dinner at 8P. Our dinner choice tonight was Thai Cuisine. Not very spicy but excellent.

Below are some pictures of the Causeway Bay area.







No comments: